Welcome! Just a few items of general information for the school year:
- Hold your child’s hand when walking to and from the parking lot. The JU students are young adult drivers that are not always cautious when passing our building and may not see young children. Please help us to keep your child safe!
- Please check the parent bulletin board (outside the classroom) daily, check our website regularly at www.wlps.ju.edu and read any notices sent home by the teacher as well as the school newsletter, “A Little News” and “like” our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/juwlps.
- Please keep us up to date with any changes to your email address, phone numbers, or home address. We feel communication with you is very important!
- Parents, please take your child to wash their hands and use the restroom before class.
- Cell phones interrupt communication with children and teachers; please turn them off when entering the building.
- Your child does not need to bring a snack. We provide a healthy snack every day for the children as part of their class. If your child has an allergy, please bring it to our attention.
- A Ziploc bag with a change of clothes should be labeled with their name and left in their cubby in case of accidents.
- We ask that a bike helmet for riding bikes outside on the playground also be kept in their cubby. It should be labeled with your child’s name.
- Teachers are unable to apply bug spray or sunscreen on children, so please put it on your child before bringing them to school.
- To ensure the safety of children on the playground, please choose closed toe shoes with rubber soles. Tennis shoes are preferable.
- We teach the children to wait at all of the doors for a teacher or an adult to open it for them. This is an important safety practice that also applies to the front door!
- Once a week the teachers will have a time for children to bring something to share with the class. We ask that it is something that the children do not mind sharing and if possible for it to be linked to the theme being presented in class. Please do not allow your child to bring toys that promote aggressive behavior, this includes weapons and super heroes. Share time allows for language, discussion and communication and is a favorite time for the children. The two’s class will not begin sharing until January.
- The handicapped/adult restroom is to be used by adults only. Parents should use the kitchen restroom if they find they need to have their child accompany them. This helps children stay accustomed to using and going to the appropriate restroom.
- Birthdays are special and we help the children prepare birthday muffins as a special snack. Please check with your child’s teacher for any other information.
- Any brochures, flyers or other informational materials must be approved by the WLPS office before being handed out or placed in the children’s cubbies.
- In case of severe weather such as a hurricane, the school will follow closures as dictated by Duval County Public Schools and/or JU. Watch your local news for announcements.
- Adults should only open the front door for parents personally known as WLPS family members.
We are looking forward to a wonderful year!
The Faculty, Wilma’s Little People’s School